Is GFA World Working in Countries with Water Scarcity?
In 2022, Concern Worldwide U.S. put together a list of 10 places that ranked at the top of countries with water scarcity or water stress. Other organizations have compiled similar lists, with the order being slightly different or with an additional country or two. These lists include Sudan, Iraq, Nepal, Niger, Burkina Faso, Turkey, Syria, Afghanistan, Pakistan and Lebanon.
GFA World is working diligently in Asia and parts of Africa to provide clean drinking water and sanitation facilities. Many of the areas where GFA is active are experiencing water crisis, including the following countries:
- Bangladesh – More than 1.8 million people lack access to improved water sources, while 36 million do not have sanitation facilities.
- Myanmar – It is estimated the 10 million people in this country don’t have clean water and 11 million don’t have sanitation facilities.
- Rwanda – In this African country, only 57 percent of the population has access to safe drinking water within 30 minutes of their home.
- Sri Lanka – Sri Lanka provides an interesting study in water and sanitation needs. The Sri Lanka Demographic Health Survey reports that 90 percent of households have access to safe drinking water and sanitation. However, the World Bank point out, “there are strong spatial differences with only 36 percent of people having access to piped water and 2 percent to piped sewerage.”
What is GFA World doing to help?
GFA works in Asia and parts of Africa to bring life-sustaining, clean water to communities in need through Jesus Wells and BioSand water filters. These options have proven very effective in providing longstanding relief for the people of such communities.
“Our family is blessed both physically and spiritually,” said Salil, a villager in Asia who has access to a Jesus Well. “We are free from problems and sickness. We also met the Living God in due time. It is because of the people who have spent their money to drill a Jesus Well in my place. I have never seen them, but I am always praying for them. Thank you very much.”Learn more about water scarcity and what GFA World is doing to help
 “10 Countries with Water Stress and Scarcity—And How We’re Helping.” Concern Worldwide U.S. https://www.concernusa.org/story/countries-with-water-stress-and-scarcity. March 1, 2022.
 “Bangladesh’s water and sanitation crisis.” Water.org. https://water.org/our-impact/where-we-work/bangladesh. Accessed November 2, 2022.
 “Myanmar.” WaterAid. https://www.wateraid.org/us/where-we-work/myanmar. Accessed November 2, 2022.
 “10 Countries with Water Stress and Scarcity—And How We’re Helping.” Concern Worldwide U.S. https://www.concernusa.org/story/countries-with-water-stress-and-scarcity/. March 1, 2022.
 “Water and Sanitation.” UNICEF. https://www.unicef.org/nepal/water-and-sanitation-wash. Accessed November 2, 2022.
 “Water, sanitation and hygiene. UNICEF. https://www.unicef.org/rwanda/water-sanitation-and-hygiene. Accessed November 2, 2022.
 “Sri Lanka needs new water and sanitation policies to unlock investment barriers.” The World Bank. https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/feature/2021/08/31/sri-lanka-needs-new-water-and-sanitation-policies-to-unlock-investment-barriers. August 31, 2021.
* Cover Photo: “Clean South Asia Photo Contest 2008 – Saurav Karmakar.” South Asia Water Portal. https://www.flickr.com/photos/indiawaterportal/2935374502. April 6, 2007.